Construction Manager – Dublin 4
The Data Centre Construction Manager is ultimately responsible for the day to day construction oversight and control of contractors. The CM will also be a leader in their specific discipline (construction management, electrical or mechanical engineering) and be responsible as a team member for delivering construction of some of the most sophisticated electrical and mechanical systems in the world.
Responsibilities of the Data Centre Construction Manager
- Daily responsibilities will include aspects of the entire data centre life cycle construction starting with the design review, through daily construction oversight, and commissioning of completed facilities.
- The Data Centre CM will be responsible for delivering projects in both Ireland and Germany with requirement for 60% travel. Candidate will be based in Dublin and must be fluent in German with a strong knowledge of German building codes.
- Project management and oversight of construction related activities for new builds or general capital projects. This will include the ownership of the project scope, timeline, and budget.
- Provide Construction Management for specific initiatives aimed at increasing the resiliency of data centres.
- Creation of project scope and equipment requirements, assist with request for proposals, and capital requests.
- Total project quality including the assisting with commissioning and integrated system testing and oversight of the execution of the project.
- Issue/Manage the Request for Information process during construction and coordinate construction administration with engineers
- Recording and reporting key metrics to team members and management.
- Concurrently managing multiple projects including new data centre building and capital improvement projects associated with existing data centres.
- Operational support of installed facilities including review of procedures, best practices, and maintenance initiatives.
- Be a leader within the group as well as within internal and external teams that support the data centre.
- Travel to data centre sites for electrical systems audits, mechanical system reviews, startup testing, and full commissioning, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience in construction/program management for mission critical facilities
- 10 years of experience in engineering design, construction management, manufacturing, or commissioning.
- Familiarity with electrical engineering best practices including breaker coordination studies, switch gear sequence of operation, NEC code
- Be able to read and interpret construction related drawings for all disciplines.
- Possess demonstrable leadership and problem solving skills.
- Be a motivated, highly dependable individual with limited oversight.
- Ability to evaluate the construction of new technologies, and determine construction methods of data centre equipment and facilities.
- Ability to carry new design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment/mass production.
- Ability to define data centre system-level architecture, specify/document performance and equipment requirements to vendors and contractors, communicate conceptual designs, and create/maintain project documentation before, during and after construction
- Ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions prior to and during the construction process to reduce costs with no impact on quality and reliability.
- Possess excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and be able to maintain high quality standards.
- Experience directly related to the design or construction of data centres.
- Manufacturing experience and knowledge of lean principals.
- Previous vendor and contractor/subcontractor negotiation and management skills associated with construction and project execution.
- Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects.
- Experience with large scale technical operations or compute farms.
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations including Life Safety, BOCA, NFPA, NEC, and OSHA.
- Knowledge and experience with large scale mechanical and power systems.
- Experience in power and mechanical system reliability and risk assessment studies
- Experience with mechanical air handling units, power management and power monitoring systems